Can H-1Bs and other nonimmigrants apply for unemployment benefits?

Published: 03/26/2020


As the Covid-19 crisis evolves, several businesses and employees have been impacted. Several questions arise in this context regarding status, unemployment benefits and the all-important question as to whether seeking and receiving unemployment benefits would be considered a public benefit under the public charge rule.

On Feb. 24, 2020, USCIS implemented the Inadmissibility on Public Charge Grounds final rule nationwide, including in Illinois. USCIS will apply the final rule to all applications and petitions postmarked (or, if applicable, submitted electronically) on or after that date.

OPT/CPT Blast Resume to 1000+ employers

The new rule is primarily based on the concept of “self-sufficiency”. According to the USCIS Public Charge website,

Since the 1800s, Congress has put into statute that aliens are inadmissible to the United States if they are unable to care for themselves without becoming public charges. Since 1996, federal laws have stated that aliens generally must be self-sufficient. On Aug. 14, 2019, DHS published a final rule regarding how DHS determines if someone applying for admission or adjustment of status is likely at any time to become a public charge.

This final rule also requires immigrants seeking to extend their nonimmigrant stay or change their nonimmigrant status to show that they have not received public benefits (as defined in the rule) over the designated threshold.

For nonimmigrants, status is linked to employment. When employment is terminated, the nonimmigrant is considered out of status. However, in 2017, the USCIS passed a Final Rule that extended the portability provision for certain nonimmigrants including H-1Bs to include certain grace days to look for alternate employment.

In such circumstances, one may be entitled to 60 grace days where the individual is considered to eligible to accept employment and not out of status. See 8 CFR 214.1(l)(2), (3) which state:

(2) An alien admitted or otherwise provided status in E-1, E-2, E-3, H-1B, H-1B1, L-1, O-1 or TN classification and his or her dependents shall not be considered to have failed to maintain nonimmigrant status solely on the basis of a cessation of the employment on which the alien’s classification was based, for up to 60 consecutive days or until the end of the authorized validity period, whichever is shorter, once during each authorized validity period. DHS may eliminate or shorten this 60-day period as a matter of discretion. Unless otherwise authorized under 8 CFR 274a.12, the alien may not work during such a period.

(3) An alien in any authorized period described in paragraph (l) of this section may apply for and be granted an extension of stay under paragraph (c)(4) of this section or change of status under 8 CFR 248.1, if otherwise eligible.

Clearly, termination of employment may not be the end of the road for non-immigrants in E-1, E-2, E-3, H-1B, H-1B1, L-1, O-1 or TN classification and the filing for unemployment benefits may be warranted under certain circumstances.

In fact, the question as to whether non-citizens can apply for unemployment benefits is dealt with at the State level by various departments of Labor. For purposes of this article, we have compared the guidance provided by the departments of labor in the states of Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York.


The CT DOL website FAQ section does not address this question. However, a publication from prior years did address the question directly (see Page 8):

Non U.S. Citizens
If you are not a U.S. citizen, you must be in legal alien status now, as well as during the time in which you earned your base period wages, for benefits to be paid. Such individuals will be required to present proof of satisfactory legal alien status as part of the new claim process. There are several documents issued by the Immigration Naturalization Service that are accepted as proof of legal alien status. When you file your claim for benefits, you will be asked for personally identifying information. This information will be verified through SAVE, a federal government database. You do not have to give the agency the information if you do not want to. However, if you do not provide the information, the agency may be required to deny your claim for benefits.


The Massachusetts DOL addresses this question specifically under the title, Filing for unemployment benefits as a non-U.S. citizen and states:

Verifying your legal authorization to work

If you’re a non-U.S. citizen filing for unemployment benefits, DUA must verify that you are legally authorized to work in the United States. This is required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.

Your legal authorization to work will be verified through a computer match with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The information received from the USCIS may affect your eligibility for unemployment benefits.

New Jersey

New Jersey uses a more direct approach to answer the question in its FAQ section. The relevant section reads as follows:

I currently have a H-1B visa but have lost my job. Am I eligible?

H-1B visa holders are authorized to work in the United States for one specific employer. If you are permanently separated from that employer and your alien status has not changed, you cannot legally work for another employer, so you would be ineligible for benefits. You may be eligible for benefits if you are on a temporary layoff from your employer with a definite return-to-work date.

New York

New York also follows a very direct approach. The FAQ section has the following Q&A:

Q: If I am not a US citizen, may I still file a claim?

A: If you are not a U.S. citizen, you may receive unemployment insurance if you:
  • Were working legally when you lost your job
  • Are legally allowed to take a new job
  • Meet the other requirements for UI

New York obviously has the most direct and relevant Q&A. It factors in the final rule that allows the nonimmigrant to legally accept a new job within 60 days.

E-2 EAD, L-2 EAD and H-4 EAD holders could always apply for unemployment benefits.


Get news alerts to your inbox


Latest Articles

View All News